Flashlights/Headlamps

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

Post by RaccoonCC »

I'm not good I'm not nice i'm just right. I'm witch...You're the world.
youthsonic
Urban Perversion
Urban Perversion

RE: Flashlights/Headlamps

Post by youthsonic »

The Petzl MYO XP Is the best value currently.

It has a 1 watt Luxeon LED, and can throw a beam at 45m /high 35m /Med and 20m /Low. it also has a burst mode that can throw a beam 65M.
It will give you 70 hours battery life at high, 90 at medium and 170 at economy, where the Duo 14 will give you only 15-20 meters max throw (on the LED side) since it is a conventional LED array instead of a superbright / Luxeon, and only about 45 hours max battery life.

One really slick feature of the MYO XP is the ability to change your beam between a spot and flood with a flick of the built in diffusion lens. This feature has come in handy for me a few times in quarrys and caves. Also, you can add different color lenses to it, such as red, to help with your night vision.

Don't get me wrong, the DUO 14 is a nice light, but I think the MYO XP outperforms it in most ways for less money.
Last edited by youthsonic on Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Redknight
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Redknight »

http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.php?Sku=PRIYUKBK

Hope I get this one fir x-mas 8). Its three led for flood lighting and a xenon bulb for spotlighting with a kinda short battery life. I liked the concept I think it will be good for the kinda things I explore. They also have another like it but with a 1 watt led instead of the xenon bulb. Claims 120 hours in led mode and 3-5 in xenon.
-Andy
RaccoonCC
Big Sexy
Big Sexy

Post by RaccoonCC »

I actually almost got the xp! just happens my mom got me this one....an early x-mas gift. :P
I'm not good I'm not nice i'm just right. I'm witch...You're the world.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Re: Flashlights/Headlamps

Post by Sertile »

I too did the LED replacement on my AA Mini-Mag, and it worked wonders... until I dropped it somewhere :x

But I was going to say, they have big LED Mag-Lites now! Official ones, at that. I've seen them in two sizes - DD and DDD - and I seem to remember them running around $30-35. I'll probably grab one when I get home (no need for one now) along with a Myo 5 or XP.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

Post by redox »

Got a Petzl Myobelt SB5 headlamp , a mini mag, a nice waterproof led flashlight, and a magnetic induction flashlight. I bring em all with if I'm going into a cave.

I also have a Q-beam, it's cumbersom and only offers about 1/2 hour of light per charge but very bright.
White Rabbit wrote:Welcome back. Find some cool stuff and tell us about it :P
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Okay, I'm thinking about going ahead and ordering a new headlamp for when I get home. Could someone explain to me what's so great about the MYO XP? It's definitely more within my price range, but this isn't something I want to cheap out on. Doesn't it just have one LED? Is it just really powerful, or what?
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
youthsonic
Urban Perversion
Urban Perversion

Post by youthsonic »

Sertile wrote:Okay, I'm thinking about going ahead and ordering a new headlamp for when I get home. Could someone explain to me what's so great about the MYO XP? It's definitely more within my price range, but this isn't something I want to cheap out on. Doesn't it just have one LED? Is it just really powerful, or what?
Yes, it really is that powerful. It only needs one LED, because that one LED kicks ass. It is all I ever really use for headlamps anymore. It has never let me down, and is even brighter then some maglights.

http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Produit=554

compare it's specs to most anything else near the price, and this lamp totally shows it's value.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

But is it really comparable to the 14? The 14 is a lot of money, but I don't mind paying the difference if it's substantially better.
youthsonic
Urban Perversion
Urban Perversion

Re: RE: Flashlights/Headlamps

Post by youthsonic »

Sertile wrote:But is it really comparable to the 14? The 14 is a lot of money, but I don't mind paying the difference if it's substantially better.
There are advantages to the 14, such as the fact that it has a halogen bulb, but the battery life using it is only about 4 hours. One other thing is the 14 is waterproof to IPX8, where the XP isn't, but in my experience this has never been an issue. Just don't expect to use the XP while swimming under water. And if you do, just make sure you let it dry out.

For the LED part, which you would be using more often, the XP is comparable, if not superior.

Let's compare:

MYO XP runtime/distance on optimum:

0-30 minutes @ 35 meters
30 minutes to 10 hours @ 30 meters
10 to 30 hours @ 25 meters
30 to 90 hours @ 13 meters

DUO 14, on optimum:

10 hours @ 26 meters, then goes into reserve mode.

This means that the XP starts with a more powerful beam (35m) and for 10 hours it is brighter then the 14. After 10 hours is the same as the 14 was the entire time. This means that you get more useful light, longer with the XP. After 10 hours on the DUO 14, it falls back into "reserve" mode, which is pretty unusable. They say it's the equivilent of moonlight on a cloudless night, but in practice it's time to change the batteries or change your light source. I consider their "reserve" mode to be a reading light, and not much more. With the XP, you still have 20 hours of light between 25 and 13 meters, which is alot better and very usable. Im my experience, once your beam drops much below 13 meters, its unusable for dark areas like caves. the reserve mode equivalent for the XP is after 30-40 hours.

This is one advantage to unregulated lights.

For some more comparisons, here are the stats on maximum:

MYO XP on maximum:
0-30 minutes @ 45 meters
30 minutes - 10 hours @ 35 meters
10 to 30 hours @ 25 meters
30 to 70 hours @ 11 meters

DUO 14 on maximum:

3 hours 30 minutes @ 34 meters, then goes into reserve mode.

As you see, the XP wins again. It takes over 30 hours for it to be in the same reserve mode that the DUO 14 is in after 3 hours and 30 minutes

The only other real concerns are durabillity and sealing, but I have had my XP for over a year and it has never skipped a beat, and I am pretty hard on it. I have been to many caves/quarrys with it, and it has always served me well.

Also, with the XP you get the option of changing your light from a spot to a flood, depending on your needs instantly by flicking up the diffuser. This really comes in handy in areas/caves that are full of moisture or dust.

Now, a price comparison (retail)

MYO XP - $69.99
DUO 14 - $114.99

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either, but the MYO XP is the better buy, and you aren't losing out by choosing it over the DUO 14. Unless the halogen is important to you, but if so a 4D mag in your backpack with the xenon bulb upgrade is 20 dollars or less and will blow the DUO out of the water.

Both mount just fine on just about any helmet out there as well, but the MYO is significantly lighter, so less fatigue. Also, it has a smaller profile so it allows you to get into tighter areas without as much readjustment.
Last edited by youthsonic on Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Well, I'm sold. I was just reading that website, though, and there was something about not using lithium batteries in the MYO series. Can you tell me what that's all about? Can I still use my rechargeable AA's?
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

ok but where would you find these???
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
youthsonic
Urban Perversion
Urban Perversion

Re: RE: Flashlights/Headlamps

Post by youthsonic »

Sertile wrote:Well, I'm sold. I was just reading that website, though, and there was something about not using lithium batteries in the MYO series. Can you tell me what that's all about? Can I still use my rechargeable AA's?
Not recomended. Use standard alkaline AAs in it. Not heavy duty or any of those other cheap batteries. The power output curve of rechargeables is not good enough to use with non-regulated lights. They would wear out quicker. I buy AAs by the 48 pack pretty cheaply at Sam's Club.

Lithium batteries (non-rechargable) put out more current then standard AAs, and therefore could cause the bulb to overheat. They are also lighter, and more powerful. If you want to use Lithium batteries, I would buy the MYOBELT XP for 10 more dollars (79.99). This allows you to keep the battery pack off your head, and into your pocket or under your clothing. This also helps reduce weight, and will allow for longer run times in very cold weather.
Last edited by youthsonic on Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
youthsonic
Urban Perversion
Urban Perversion

Post by youthsonic »

ropingk wrote:ok but where would you find these???
for the MYO XP:
http://store.karstsports.com/petzlmyoxpe83p.html

For the MYOBELT XP:
http://store.karstsports.com/pemyobexpe85.html

Keep in mind that these are retail prices, but this company is very trustworthy and their service is first rate.

REI also carries them, as do most "Backpacking" type outfits that carry PETZL products. OnRope1 and other rescue equipment sites will also carry them. Just do a google or froogle search and you'll find a good price. Just be careful for too good to be true deals, as always.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Dammit, I hate having to buy regular batteries. It seems like such a waste when I throw them away.

Would you mind clarifying the "power output curve of rechargeables is not good enough to use with non-regulated lights" part? What will wear out faster, the batteries or the LED? I don't mind replacing my rechargable batteries every now and then, but I certainly don't want to burn out the LED.